Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Reattaching a Text Block

The following is a simple way to reattach a text block, applicable when the case is in tact. With this particular book the text block was completely detached, but the case was in good shape and I did  not want to disturb it.
The first step was to gently lift the old spine lining with a spatula, and attach a new stiffener made of 10 pt board (PVA). Once that dried, I lined the entire spine with Japanese tissue (paste) overlapping slightly on to the boards and leaving some excess at the head and tail.
When the spine lining was dry, I trimmed the excess with a water pen, wrapped it around, and then attached it to the covers (PVA).
While preparing the case, I cleaned and relined the spine of the text block using methyl cellulose and Japanese tissue (paste), leaving a little excess at the shoulders to connect to the case. I also added head and tail bands and a linen spine lining, which was flush with the shoulder. The next step was to tone some Japanese tissue to match the end papers. I did this by mixing acrylics with Klucel G (to stop the Japanese tissue fibers from fraying).
To reattach the text block I needed to simulate opening with the joint intact. I placed the text block in position and raised the cover (with boards) so that the groove aligned with the shoulder of the text block, and applied weights to keep the book in position. Next, I pasted down the excess Japanese tissue from the spine lining. Then I measured out a piece of the toned tissue to be the height and width of the joint, overlapping onto the cover and text block, and attached it using paste. Using a dry brush, I gently tapped the toned tissue against the joint, to ensure it sticks properly. This must dry in position, so it is critical to keep the weights on at all times.
This is the end result:
After repeating on the other side, I repaired the bumped corners and toned the Japanese tissue on the covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment