A blog about bookbinding, book conservation, artist's books, printmaking and interning.
Saturday, September 11, 2010
This book was originally bound in marbled paper. The spine had delaminated and pieces were missing. The corners were also badly bumped.
Rather than reconstructing the spine and attempting to tone to match, I decided to attach a new spine piece made from linen lined Morike. First I removed the remaining spine piece, and cleaned and lined the spine. Then I attempted to re-round it gently with a hammer. I lifted the paper on the boards, and trimmed it back slightly. I also lifted the end papers to make room for the turn ins. I attached the new spine piece, turned it in and pressed the book with jointed boards. This was the end result.