A blog about bookbinding, book conservation, artist's books, printmaking and interning.
Monday, July 5, 2010
Building Up Corners
This was a leather bound book that I did Japanese tissue repair for. A couple of the corners were seriously damaged and misshaped.
To infill the corners, I cut small squares of board. These should be small enough to handle, but extend past the book's board edge so they can be trimmed to size later. I parred these squares of board at one corner, until they were thin enough to fit between the existing board. It is important not to par too far out. Remember the thickness of the square should be flush with the book's covers at the board edge. I attached these squares with PVA. Then I covered the new material with Japanese tissue, overlapping on to the original leather.
When all the corners were repaired, I toned them to match, and applied SC 6000 wax. This is the end result.